Heather and I have been doing keto since July 2017. We have each lost 60-70 pounds. Here are some of the resources we have used, all very helpful. Heather posts our favorite recipes. If you have any questions or comments let us know.
Our basic guidelines
- Less than 20gr carbs
- 1400 calories
- Intermittent fasting — Eat between Noon and 8pm
- Some days are “Rare and Appropriate” — You accept you will not eat well
- Daughter wedding
- Grand childrens birthdays
- Vacations — Try, just not that hard
- Holidays — Generally only when with family and friends
- You get the idea
- Allow yourself one looser day — We do sushi once a week. The volume of our order is much smaller.
You can’t change what you don’t measure, get a food scale. If it goes into your mouth it gets logged. There are a number of apps to help you. I like Fatsecret, I think it has a better database than some others.
When eating out guesstimates are better than nothing.
When out with other people, I don’t like to take the time away from the people I am with to log my food. My solution, take a picture before and after you eat. This keeps you present and let’s you log it later.
Don’t be too pedantic. If I can get with 15% of my actual intake I am happy. I prefer to overestimate as well.
Track your weight
Same time, same circumstance, everyday. Try not to focus on the day to day changes, you will fluctuate a few pounds from one day to the next. It can become obsessive but for me the importance shows in the trends.
I weight myself 3 times a day
- First thing in the morning — Official weight, naked after bathroom
- After work, while changing from work clothes
- Before bed — I lose 1.5-2# overnight
I consider my current weight to be the lowest in the last 10 days
Use the data
I am a data guy, numbers are actionable.
Use Precision Nutrition’s Weight Loss Calculator to determine your calorie target.
What to eat?
Using the data above go to Eat This Much or another meal planner. I like Eat This Much, you input your calories and macros it gives you meals. The information includes recipes and nutrition information.
The Keto subreddit is a great resources
These two great posts to r/keto went up on Jan 1 2019.