Carbon monoxide poisoning

Monday night, the day after Christmas, we were visiting with Nana and the Carbon Monoxide Poisening detector went off.  We reset it, and it went off again. We changed the batteries,  and it went off again. Not wanting to be chicken little we called the local Fire Department and they told us that because the detector was over 5 years old, that it could be providing an inaccurate reading.  We went out, bought new ones, put them up and no more warnings!  YAY!!!

In case you don’t remember, we were on TV about 5-6 years ago, because we did have Carbon Monoxide in our home.  If we did not have a detector…

It was a cold winters night, right before christmas, and we were getting ready to go out of town and our detector went off.  We reset it, and it went off again.  We called local Fire Company, they said dial 911.  We were like, noooooo…  We called 911.  They told us to take the animals and get out of the house, open the windows, and wait in your car until we arrive.  We followed their instructions and they came, we all ended up going to the Emergency Room to check our levels, and we were safe.

Here’s what happened:  Our Furnace was natural gas, and the filter had not been changed in a while, and it caused a crack in the furnace, and Carbon Monoxide was poisening us. 

The morale of this story is… 

We were lucky, we had a detector that was active and it saved our lives.  If we hadn’t we may have been that family who never woke up the next morning, or ended up in the hospital very sick. Needless to say, please if you don’t have one already, go and get one, they are worth their investment in gold, especially if it saves your life.   

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.